Saturday 4 February 2012

Resolving Interpersonal Conflict

            The game of guilt, an endless cycle of disappointment, a futile effort of continuous verbal posturing to undermine the other party and a game that invades every thought from its commencement to its finish. In this ouroboros – the classic of a dragon chasing its tail - every subsequent round of verbal exchange brings about a more heated argument with wilder accusations, personal attacks and emotive responses to comments of the other party.

            Many years ago, a couple by the name of Joe and Priscilla were victims of this game. Priscilla being the perfectionist, strongly believed that one should “sharpen their axe” while resting, so as to be more effective when working. Conversely, Joe is an idyllic person whose hobby of breeding fishes is the focal point of his breaks. As a teenager, I was fascinated and envious of the carefree life of fishes and often spent my weekends helping Joe with the maintenance of his fish tank. Yet, this was to be the point of conflict.

            “You failed your Geography final examinations! If you don’t seek to outdo yourself, how will you ever catch up with the diligent students and have a future? And you Joe! Don’t you care for Titus? Why waste his time with your fishes?” roared Priscilla one day when she found us sitting by the fish tank. Incensed by her sharp words, Joe responded in kind by calling Priscilla a selfish person who only imposes her will on others. What was supposed to be a December holiday degenerated into a shouting match colored with outrageous insinuations. It was a miracle that they managed to sleep together that night.

            Yes, Joe and Priscilla are my parents, although they did not seem that way for that week. Instead, my parents were mired in little skirmishes in the day, and a silent war at night. My dad refused to send my mum to and from her office, while my mum refused to make any dinner for my dad. In a blink of an eye, my loving home was transformed into a cold war zone. At the tender age of 15, I found this reality difficult to accept.

            My sister and I finally decided to intervene. With the fractions of our pocket money saved in the past months, we splurged on my dad’s favorite dishes and a bouquet of roses. After hours of practice the previous day, my sister successfully forged my dad’s signature on the card at the florist and wrote “I love you” before sending the bouquet to my mother’s office. Although the plan was relatively simple (and costly for our age), the execution was seamless. It did not matter that they shortly discovered the conspirators. Greeting these gestures with tears of joy and a smile, the tension between them apparently dissipated; their love re-ignited. As for the issue of our homework, my parents gave time off to my sister and I to enjoy the festivities before finally starting our revision after Christmas.

            Even though the conflict is past history, it remained clearly etched in my memory, as I have never seen my loving parents raged at each other. To my relief, my parents never fought at this magnitude again and exercised greater patience and discernment in their communication. Still, I cannot help but wonder how the situation would have reconciled without any intervention. If verbal posturing causes a situation to spiral negatively, why won’t people simply compromise?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Titus!

    Your post was an interesting read, and I felt it was sweet of you and your sister to give up part of your savings to help your parents reconcile. It is often hard to be the first take a step back due to our pride.

    As for your question, I think it lies in the complexity of the human mind. Many a time what we know we should do does not agree with our actual actions. For example, we all know that fighting is wrong, but wars have never ceased existing.

    Someone in the heat of an argument could be reluctant to compromise as there is no time for him/her to think about the situation. Impulse can cause someone to react in a negative manner, and this in turn further provokes the other party. At this time, the "feelings management" aspect of the EQ principles come into play. It is important to pause and act, rather than just react. When we see the bigger picture, compromising might be easier. Your intervention could have allowed them to take time off to look at the bigger picture, and realise that having a happy family is what really matters.

    From what you've described, your parents often quarreled due to the differences in their way of thinking. The unwillingness to compromise could then be due to the lack of empathy. One has to understand the other party in order to make a wise decision.

    I think you have handled the situation well as sometimes mediation is necessary to resolve a conflict:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eileen!

      Thank you for your comments! I think you brought up a good point that conflict is unfortunately an ingrained part of the human consciousness! Although I don't think it is exactly applicable here =(

      I do agree however, that impulse often brings out the worst in people especially in this case! I think it can be attributed for my mum's desire of perfectionism and my dad feeling annoyed at her yapping. How minor meaningless skirmishes can ignite into a conflict is still unbelievable for me.

      Oh and no they don't quarrel often! But when they do, it is often very harsh - for the children =(

      Delete
  2. Hey Jr, I think the word limit of 300 still applies here. Anyway, loved the story! Although I must say, I'm sorry for what you had to go through. It must have been awful when people you care so much for can't seem to reconcile.

    Like what Eileen has mentioned, impulse plays a rather salient role in determining weather compromising would occur.

    Other times, people find it difficult to agree on a certain issue because of "face" value or related problems. Compromising may be seen as giving way to someone, and this could have the intonation that you're actually putting yourself down, or others' welfare before yours. Well, this may be interpreted negatively sometimes and could be one reason. For instance, some drivers (esp taxi drivers!) don't fancy giving way to filtering cars, and this can end up being an annoyance. Perhaps they see it as people taking advantage of them? Well, it could be.

    So yup. Compromising is not easy to achieve, but when it does succeed, life becomes so much simpler to endure (:!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Snr, thank you for loving my story! I tried my very best to shave of my essay and sadly I think that's the best I can do (my paragraphs certainly are very concise)! It is really a pleasant surprise to see your comment on my blog and I just like to say that I appreciate it!

    Also, I agree with the points you raised, especially your mention of pride! I guess to be an effective communicator one must not only focus on bringing his point across, but also to be resilient and ready to compromise in difficult situations.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Titus, for sharing this story from your home life. You are quite eloquent, and despite exceeding the word limit, you have painted a fairly clear picture of the people involved and then put the characters into a meaningful context. I can feel the tension via your description, undoubtedly. The crux of the situation though, the pressing problem, might have been articulated a bit more directly. Sure, I see that your parents were angry with each other and that perhaps they had different ways of viewing their son's education. I would have liked to have seen you make a direct statement to that effect, and then to have formulated a question, per the assignment, seeking resolution, say, from their perspective.

    In short, what might have made this more effective is to have allowed us readers a chance to conjure up a solution to the dramatic problem scenario. Do you see what I'm getting at?

    There is also a lapse or two in your verb tense usage: For example, you write as follows:
    "Joe responded in kind by calling Priscilla a selfish person who only imposes her will on others."
    Since the story is in the past, you need to write as follows:
    Joe responded in kind by calling Priscilla a selfish person who only imposed her will on others.

    I don't want to be overly critical here though. I really appreciate your effort, especially since this is such a heart-felt post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brad,

      I beg your pardon for exceeding the word limit, it appears that this fear of doing so have compromised the detail of the story. I fully agree that I should have done better in engaging my readers!

      Thank you for your honest comments! I will attempt to better articulate my future posts!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Loved this heartfelt post, really honest yet sweet at the same time. Family relationships are always imperfect, and the parties in conflict will always have to learn about giving way to each other.


    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Caster, thank you very much for the kind words!

      I think you brought up a salient point which I have been implicitly bringing up throughout my story - the need to compromise. I hope that you do remind yourself to compromise when facing a situation of ineffective communication! I know I will.

      Cheers

      Delete